KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast

Recent Topics
Recent Pictures
thumb_1490310452-IMG_20170323_125412.jpg
thumb_1489339104-FlynnHunter2SM.jpg
Current Quote
"To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
~ Teddy Roosevelt
 Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: Best Tactical folder under $100?        (Topic#900788)
Kiote1963
03-29-11 18:26.12 - Post#2319798    

I am looking for opinions on what is the best tactical/combat folder for under $100, any suggestions?

antonio_luiz
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-29-11 20:27.50 - Post#2319819    

In response to Kiote1963

I'm sure a lot will disagree on this but IMHO the CRKT M16-13 LE and Ti models would have to be one of their most successful designs. I don't like their zytel models but really like the aluminium handled LE. The Ti model is better if you can still get one. Only thing I don't like about them is the partial serrations.

http://www.crkt.com/M16-13-Titanium...
MSRP on the Ti is over your $ limit but you can usually pick one up for less
I'm paranoid only cause everyone's out to get me!

marcinek
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 00:17.15 - Post#2319851    

In response to antonio_luiz

Welcome to knifeforums...its great to have you with us.

Maybe we can help you better if you tell us what you intend to do with a "tactical/combat" folder.

Labels like "tactical," "combat," "survival," etc are pretty meaningless. They are marketing terms. Forget about them.

So...what do you want to do with the folder you are looking for?
"Why use an ox-cleaver to carve a chicken?" - Confucius

RedLynx
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 01:33.25 - Post#2319877    

In response to marcinek

A knife is pretty much considered a tool rather than a primary self-defense option here (or combat), so if you are looking for a knife for actual combat you might want to rethink the parameters, just my opinion. Some knives do perform this better than others but, still.

Gary_M
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 02:19.32 - Post#2319891    

In response to RedLynx

Closest thing to a "tactical" folder I carry is a CRKT M4-03. I like the less radical looks of it and the design works for me. It's under $100, in fact I think you can still get them for around half that. Unless you're really fond of serrations for some reason, I'd recommend avoiding that version. Besides, the Veff serrations they use are a bit excessive in my opinion. I'm not a big serrated blade fan...if I really need them for some reason I'll carry a separate knife dedicated to the task.
The beatings will continue until morale has improved

Frose
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 03:02.57 - Post#2319907    

In response to Gary_M

Wow... thats a pretty tough question.

As far as the best, that's going to be a matter of opinion.

I would start by looking at benchmade, spyderco, kershaw. All of these companies make very high quality knives and they do have many options in your price range.
Check out my new forum!
Canyon Knives Forum

New website!
www.brianefrosknives.com

Sharpshooter
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 04:07.46 - Post#2319938    

In response to Gary_M

What is a Tactical Folder?

Do you carry your Tactical Homework in a Tactical Folder?

Perhaps your Tactical Sewing Kit is housed in a Tactical Folder so you can quickly deploy it to quickly reattach a button on your Tactical shirt.

Maybe a Tactical Folder is the guy working at the Tactical Mexican Restaurant making Tactical Tacos.
Experience life on purpose
BRKCA Mike89
Sharpshooter Sheaths
NorthStar Trading Post
עור פועל

Gary_M
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 04:25.08 - Post#2319944    

In response to Sharpshooter

Good question, that's why I put tactical in quotations and called it the closest thing I have. From what I can gather from the hype, if it has a pocket clip and assisted opening and/or flipper thingy it seems to be lumped into the category.

I'm not making a recommendation, either. Just something for the OP to check out and see if it fits their definition. All I can say is that it is somewhat practical and works for what I use it for and it doesn't have some bizarre design that looks like it came from the mind of a sci-fi writer. If the requirement includes it being all black, look elsewhere.
The beatings will continue until morale has improved

marcinek
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 04:26.39 - Post#2319945    

I agree, Sharpshooter..."tactical" is a word we should lose entirely. It made some sense at some point by making clear the difference between a slipjoint and a one handed opening locking folder...but now it's just too wrapped up in marketing to make any sense at all.

Hopefully Kiote will turn up again and let us know what he would like to do with the knife he is looking for, and we can get started helping him find a good knife.
"Why use an ox-cleaver to carve a chicken?" - Confucius

BWSkipper
Master Member KnifeNut!
03-30-11 05:22.15 - Post#2319964    

I reckon a Uncle Henry medium Stockman and a Large Case lockblade would be tactical folders.

It's what I carried with the grunts for 3 years. Never broke one, had a lock fail, or was underknifed for anything we did.

Sharpshooter, where can I get a tactical lunchbox?

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2017 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.17 seconds.   Total Queries: 188   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 22:01.34