thumb_1415975734-2.JPG
thumb_1415712996-1.JPG
thumb_1415574694-MVP_66bsmallerfilesize.jpg
thumb_1415159184-0004.jpg
thumb_1414982077-DSCF3235.JPG
thumb_1414779645-161120105616.jpg
thumb_1414702399-25630686-f518-4a89-b07f-7854227a9b2d.jpg
Current Quote
"No easy problems ever come to the President of the United States. If they are easy to solve, somebody else has solved them."
~ Dwight Eisenhower
245 Online Now
25 viewable users (
    ) and 0 hidden plus 220 guests are online now.
     Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Username Post: Speaking of neck knives...        (Topic#80312)
    Hoodoo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 00:18.00 - Post#80312    

The topic of neck knives has come up in a couple of threads in this forum so I thought I would start a thread on neck knives. I think neck knives are especially handy for outdoor use and especially for backpacking, where a fixed blade on the belt can interfere with the hipbelt. My current favorite is the Rekat General Utility neck knife. This is a dandy blade that comes with a kydex sheath and chain for neck carry. It's also very easy to cord wrap. I used mine heavily this summer and took it fishing at every opportunity. It did everything I asked of it.

Here's a pic:

But as much as I like my Rekat, as soon as I get good neck sheaths made for these two (a Marbles mini-caper and a Caffrey EBK) I think they will become my favorites.

Any other favorites out there?

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Hoodoo ]

James Nowka
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 02:01.00 - Post#80313    

In response to Hoodoo

Hi Terry, A few of my favorites...
    It would be wise of you to hook up with Mike @River City Sheathsfor your other 2 he is currently doing the Pikuni sheaths for REKAT. Mike has a great handle on what works and what doesn't!
    James Nowka

An army of stags led by a lion would be better than an army of lions led by a stag.

The Knife Journal

Michael Bennett
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 07:07.00 - Post#80314    

In response to James Nowka

I have a favorite wall-hanger:

The lower is a Rob Simonich Talonite custom. The upper is a Camillus/Simonich Talon in Talonite. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to use them - they're NIB and I want to keep them that way.

My user is home made. No pic, but I'll post one if I do snap a photo. It's 1095 with micarta scales.

It's sort of similar to that Marbles, which, BTW, is a fine looking knife.

Mike

V Shrake
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 10:33.00 - Post#80315    

In response to Michael Bennett

My "user" neck knife (no surprise here) is my Mora 2000. Used it last night, in fact, to clean some quail. I also have the REKAT Utility Knife (RUK). I carry my RUK as a last-ditch, concealed kit knife. I made a shoulder system for it from paracord and a nylon shoulder strap from an old ALICE pack, and carry it under my right arm. I also attached a small pouch to it containing a mini kit. I wear it ALL the time when I'm awake, under my t-shirt, and never use it in public. It should get past anything except a pat-down or metal detector. Plus, I don't need pockets to carry this kit. :~} Sure, it's a little "James Bondish", but it's fun and COULD conceivably be a life-saver at some future point.
    "Common sense, isn't" L. Long

Stomper
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 12:53.00 - Post#80316    

In response to V Shrake

I have been carrying a Busse Assault Shaker as a neck knife for about 3 months,and find it to be very handy.At work I use belt carry using a Bladetech Tekloc, but on weekends and in the field I use a neckcord.It`s thick but no way are you going to break it! It takes a great edge and keeps it very well.
    JK Handmade Knives
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    708-479-9328 (8am-8pm CST)

Stomper
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 12:57.00 - Post#80317    

In response to Stomper

V Shrake
    The idea of a mini kit in a shoulder rig sounds like a great idea.What do you carry in it?
    JK Handmade Knives
    http://jkhandmadeknives.com/
    708-479-9328 (8am-8pm CST)

MSastre
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 12:59.00 - Post#80318    

In response to Stomper

Mike,

Go ahead and use at least one of your Talonite blades. It's some pretty amazing material. I've got a Talonite Carnivore and a Talon like yours. Rob designs his knives to be used. Love the Pikuni and I usually go in for bigger knives.

Hoodoo,

I'd be glad to make up a couple sheaths for your knives. Contact me if interested.

Jim,

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Mike
    http://www.rivercitysheaths.com

"Kitchen Kydex" DVD sets available

Hoodoo
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 14:25.00 - Post#80319    

In response to MSastre

Hey Mike, live a little. Go cut something with that Talon!

Great looking knives guys. The more I carry a neck knife, the more I discover how handy they are. They kinda freak out the sheeple, though, although I often find newbies looking kinda hangdog 'cause they wish they had a neck knife. A lot of guys never even heard of them. Just goes to show you how far we have yet to go to educate the public.

Mike (River City Mike),
    You have mail.

Hoodoo Outdoor Survival Links

bandaidman
    Master Member KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 14:31.00 - Post#80320    

In response to Hoodoo

I love using neck knives outdoors!

Very handy fishing, esp. when wearing waders!

Current one is a Blackwood small hunter in stellite with seperate belt and neck sheaths. Slightly on the big side for me (3.5"), so I am having Tom Mayo make me a smaller one in talonite (2.5"). If you have not guessed it I prefer those non rusting Haynes alloys for carry next to sweaty old me. Stay sharp forever too.

------- underzealot

HM
    Journeyman KnifeNut!
    08-20-01 15:48.00 - Post#80321    

In response to bandaidman

Nice knives gentlemen!
    Shoot, I am still a step behind, still without any neck knife.

Michael Bennett, very nice knives. I can understand you hesitating to use them. That is why we always need some "working knives" too .

Hoodoo and V Shrake, that REKAT Utility looks like a beefy little knife. What steel and price?

Certainly, Moras have been made into neck carry knives (e.g. by Hoodoo and V Shrake) and the plastic sheet is essential in it to protect the person. Also, Native Americans often wore smaller knives in their neck so there is quite a history of this.

Although I mentioned it in another post, I like the Camillus Arclite with a low grade but less corrosive and inexpensive steel and also some of Newt Livesay's neck knives at http://members.tripod.com/~Newt_Livesay/neckknives.html . Look for models 702S, 702-EX and 136.

HM aka Sir Vivor

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: HM ]

Page 1 of 5 1234>
    Icon Legend Permissions & Sharing Options Topic Options
    Print Topic

KnifeForums.com - Intelligent Discussion for the knife enthusiast
    KnifePromotions

arenaro@verizon.net

FusionBB™ Version 3.2 | ©2003-2014 InteractivePHP, Inc.
    Execution time: 0.267 seconds.   Total Queries: 177   Zlib Compression is on.
    All times are (GMT-12.0). Current time is 10:57.44